Manufacturer in China
The culture of Great Wall Motors revolves around the corporate spirit of "Improving little by little everyday“ with an aim to build a professional SUV & EV brand and become the world’s most dynamic automobile manufacturer.
GWM with Focus, Dedication and Specialization in SUVs and EVs, looks to establish a brand that promises best of “Technovation”, “Mobility” and “Sustainability”.
GWM is leading the automotive brand across the globe with three key brands in its portfolio, catering to different customer segments and their needs.
HAVAL is the specialist brand in SUV manufacturing being the largest SUV producer in China for six years in a row and is also one of the largest SUV sellers in the world. Since its inception in 2013, it has focused on building high-quality & exquisite products.
The newest brand in the GWM family, GWM EV was established in 2018 as an independent brand for new energy vehicles. It has been making the news with its latest compact electric offering, the R1.
Great Wall Pickup was established as an independent pick up series brand in 2018. Taking its legacy ahead from the Great Wall Pickup brand, it continues to be a market leader in China with export to Europe, Australia, South America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Africa and other parts of the world.
A specialist in SUV & EV segment, GWM was established in 1984.
Since then, it has been the number 1 SUV and pick up truck manufacturing brand in China in terms of sales.
- On January 13, the accumulated global sales of HAVAL SUV exceeded 5 million, becoming the first SUV brand in China to enter the 5 Million Club. HAVAL brand has ranked No.1 in SUV sales in China for 9 consecutive years.
- On June 5, GWM' Tula Factory in Russia, the first overseas wholly-owned process-wide vehicle manufacturing plant built by Chinese auto brands, was completed and put into production, and the global car HAVAL F7 was also launched in the overseas market.
- On June 20, HYCET, a subsidiary of GWM, launched the “I Era” powertrain technology products including 4N20 engine, 9DCT transmission and 6001 series electric driver. The launch of the “I Era” powertrain technology products is the phased result achieved by GWM due to years of technology R&D.
- On July 15, 2019, GWM released the GTO intelligent ecological strategy. GWM announced that the era of traditional vehicles was coming to an end and it would create a new era of mobility robot based on 5G and AI technologies. In cooperation with Tencent, Alibaba, Baidu, China Telecom, China Unicom, China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, GWM will build GTO intelligent ecology alliance.
- On November 29, the Spotlight Automotive Project jointly invested by GWM and BMW Group was officially launched in Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu Province. The project will realize a new business model of “joint R&D, Made in China and serving global customers”.
- In July, GWM Company Limited and BMW Group formally signed a joint venture agreement to establish Spotlight Automotive Ltd.
- GWM EV, an independent pure electric vehicle brand of GWM, was established.
- HAVAL brand launched F Series SUV products.
GWM continued to sell more than 1 million units.
- HAVAL brand developed rapidly. GWM sold a total of 1.0745 million units in the whole year. Its sales exceeded 1 million units for the first time, exceeding the annual sales target.
- In April, HAVAL H7 was launched at the Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. HAVAL H6 had sold more than 40,000 units for several months, and surpassed Wuling Hongguang to take the first place in the automobile list in April, which was the first time that SUV model had taken the first place in the national automobile sales list.
- In December 2016, the sales volume of HAVAL H6 again set a new record, exceeding 80,000 units.
- In April, HAVAL H6 Coupe was launched at the Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition.
- In September, HAVAL H8 won the C-NCAP five-star safety rating with a score of 54.4.
- In December, HAVAL H2 was named “Chile's Best SUV of the Year”, and HAVAL was the only Chinese brand on the list.
- HAVAL H6 sold more than 30,000 units per month, with the highest monthly sales almost 60,000 units.
GWM began to focus on the SUV strategy.
With the launch of HAVAL H9, medium and large SUV, and HAVAL H1 and HAVAL H2, small SUV, the product matrix of HAVAL SUV has been gradually completed.
In April, the HAVAL lineup composed of 8 HAVAL models appeared at the Beijing International Automotive Exhibition.
In July, HAVAL H2 was launched.
In October, the sales of HAVAL H2 exceeded 10,000 units for the first time, ranking among the top five SUV models sold in a single month.
In November, HAVAL H1 and HAVAL H9 were simultaneously launched.
HAVAL H9 is another model launched by HAVAL to occupy the high-end SUV market. With a price of more than 200,000 yuan, it broke through the ceiling of independent brands.
HAVAL brand became independent officially, thus bringing GWM into an era of dual brand of HAVAL and Great Wall.
GWM sold 625,000 units, with a net profit of 5.708 billion yuan. From 2008 to 2012, GWM’ revenue grew more than fourfold and its net profit grew more than tenfold.
GWM’ Tianjin Manufacturing Base went into operation, and the new GWM Technology Center with a total investment of 5 billion yuan started construction.
On August 25, 2011, HAVAL H6, the “national legendary car” was officially launched.
In the same year, GWM was listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, becoming a private auto manufacturer listed on both the Hong Kong Stock Exchange the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
On May 18, 2010, GWM launched Voleex C30 (Great Wall C30), its first sedan car, which won the C-NCAP five-star safety rating.
GWM launched a series of models such as HAVAL H3 Diesel Comfortable Model, HAVAL M2, HAVAL H5 European Style Version, HAVAL H5 Intelligent Version, HAVAL H5 Automatic Transmission, MPV model Great Wall V80, and the first sedan car Voleex C30.
In October 2010, GW4C20 gasoline engine independently developed by GWM was successfully ignited in Great Wall Power Research Institute, and the "China Best Ten Engine” 2.0 T diesel power engine was launched.
On February 6, the cornerstone-laying ceremony for "GWM's automotive parts and logistics export project" took place at Tianjin Economic-Technological Development Area.
In June 2009, Great Wall Motors invited more than 500 customers from more than 30 nationalities across the country to participate in a large-scale "elite" event.
On March 22, 2008, transmission independently developed by GWM was trial-manufactured successfully.
On April 8, 2008, GWM’ safety collision laboratory was launched, passing the first frontal collision test in China.
On May 13, 2008, the Car Engine Factory of GWM Auto Power Division was inaugurated.
- On October 12, 2007, GWM Technology Center was accredited as a national corporate technical center.
- On October 29, 2007, the 200,000 Units/Year Car Manufacturing Base of GWM was completed, Great Wall Peri and Cowry rolled off production line, and the new logo was released, ending the history of no cars being made in Hebei Province.
- GWM won the title of “China's Top 500 Machinery Manufacturers”.
- In September, GWM was listed among “China’s Top 500 Industrial Enterprises”.
- In August, GWM was accredited as a "National Vehicle Export Base" and GWM and Bosch jointly developed the INTEC diesel engine.
- HAVAL SUV was awarded the EuroNCAP four-star safety test score.
In June 2005, GWM officially launched HAVAL CUV, which was listed as “CCTV Chinese CUV Model of the Year” and “CCTV Chinese Independent Brand Model of the Year”.
GWM Industry Park Phase III with an annual output of 200,000 units started to built on July 1, 2005, which is the first independent car manufacturing base in Hebei Province.
GWM was listed among “China's Top 500 Enterprises”, and was listed among "China's Top 10 Listed Private Enterprises" and headed the list of "Hebei's Top 100 Private Enterprises". The second phase of GWM Industry Park was put into operation, further improving GWM’s spare parts supply system.
- In May 2003, GWM Industry Park Phase I with an annual output of 100,000 units started to built in 2003. GWM ranked first in both the pickup market and SUV market in China for the first time.
- On December 15 2003, GWM was listed in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, becoming the first domestic private auto manufacturer listed in Hong Kong.
- In January, GWM Technology Research Institute was established, which granted GWM a more professional R&D team.
- On 26 May 2002, GWM launched Safe SUV, the first economic SUV in China, which quickly became popular in the market. As soon as the new vehicle was launched, it ranked among the top three in the Chinese SUV market, creating the “Safe Phenomenon”.
On June 12, 2001, Great Wall Motor Company Limited was established with a registered capital of 170.5 million yuan.
- At the beginning of 2000, GWM became the holding company of Huabei Automotive Factory and established Great Wall Baoding Huabei Automotive Co., Ltd. Great Wall Baoding Internal Combustion Engine Manufacturing Co., Ltd was established in the second half of the year, which can independently produce engine, front and rear axle and other core components.
- On January 18, 2000, Great Wall Baoding Huabei Automotive Co., Ltd was established, which greatly increased the production capacity of GWM.
- On May 25, 2000, Great Wall Baoding Internal Combustion Engine Manufacturing Co., Ltd was established, which can independently produce engine and other core components.
The annual output of GWM exceeded 10,000 units, and five pickups with four chassis and different specifications were launched. GWM became the professional pickup manufacturer with the largest variety of pickups in China.
More than 7,000 Great Wall pickups were produced and sold, ranking first in sales in domestic pickup market for the first time. Since 1998, Great Wall Pickup has maintained the first place in sales volume and export volume for 21 consecutive years.
Baoding Great Wall Group Co., Ltd was established. On June 26, it was restructured and Great Wall Motors Group was established.
The first batch of Great Wall pickups were exported to the Middle East, ushering the era of globalization for Chinese auto brands. That year, 1,700 units of Great Wall DEER were sold. GWM established a marketing service network of 200 service outlets and took the lead in the country to practice the distributor mode.
The first Great Wall Pickup rolled off the production line, marking the official entry of GWM into the Chinese pickup industry.
GWM produced the first car.
Jack Wey, at the age of 26, became the General Manager of Great Wall Motors Industry Company. Within a few years, GWM turned from deficits to profit and expanded its production scale.